Armenia Another Genocide

Research on Armenian Architecture Foundation

The Condition of Historical Armenian Monuments in Western Armenia since 1915.

In the course of their centuries-old history, the Armenians have built and created a wide variety of cultural monuments most of which are situated in the historical cradle of the Armenian Nation, Western Armenia.

For many year the Turkish authorities have annihilated thousands of centuries-old Armenian monuments. justly considered as inseparable parts of world civilization. At first they used them as target for their military training. Then they started spreading rumors that the Armenian cemeteries and monuments retain gold and encouraged their destruction for the purpose of finding it.

Before 1915 there were over 170.000 monuments in Western Armenia, whereas at present hardly 2 or 3 % of them are preserved.

Tekor
Sourb Yerrordoutiun (Holy Trinity) Church 5th Century.

Bagavan
The church of St. Hovhan Monastery, 7th Century.
Some of its stones were used in the construction of houses in Tashevler Village, which was founded around the Monastery, most of them were removed to the town of Aghri, where they were laid in the lower stonework of the principal mosque of the place erected in 1950.

Argina
The church named Katoghike, 10th Century.
Undergone explosions between 1940s and 1950s and the appropriation of its finely-dressed stones.

Yerazgavors
Sourb Prkich (Holy Saviour) Church, 9th Century.
Undergone Explosions

Vankigegh
The Monastery of St. Bartholomew, 9th to 17th Century.
Undergone demolitions and explosions and used as military training target. between 1940s and 1960s.

Narek
Narek Monastery 9th to 19th Century.
The Monastery was totally leveled with the ground between the 1940s, and 1950s. In 1970s a mosque was built in its site with houses around it.

Tignis
The Castle of Tignis, 10th to 13th Century.
The castle served as a “quarry” with finely-dressed stone.

Innaknian
Innaknian Sourp Karapet (Holy Forunner) Monastery, 5th to 19th Century.
After destruction carried out from the 1940s until 50s, the Village of Chengili was founded with its stones as attested by the photographs taken in 1972, the demolition of the monastery continued in the last decades as well.

Arakelots
Sourb Arakelots (Holy Apostles) Monastery of Moosh, 5th to 18th Century.

The monastic cemetery, retaining the remains of Movses Khorenatsi, Ghazar Parpetsy and David Anhaght (The Invincible). The only Cross-Stone still surviving in the graveyard in the 1960s, it perpetuated the memory of philosopher David the Invincible. The broken fragments of the same Cross-Stone were found recently on a nearby mountain slope.

Khetzkonk
Khetzkonk Monastery, 10th to 13th Century.
Undergone repeated explosions in the 1960s.
From among the Churches St. Karapet, Sourb Astvadzadzin and St. Krikor Lusavorich, St. Stephanos, and St. Sarkis, only the last one is still preserved standing, although in an emergency condition.

Oghouzli
Katoghike Church, 9th Century.
Undergone explosions and appropriation of its finely-finished Stone in the 1950s.

Horomos
Horomos Monastery, 9th to 17th Century.
Saint Minas and Saint Gevorg Churches of Horomos Monastery are on the right bank of the River Akhourian.

Genocide means not only the physical extermination of a given ethnic or religious group, but also the destruction of its culture, therefore, the Genocide of the Armenians didn’t come to an end in 1915. The Turkish authorities are still carrying it on. In modern Turkey, the denial of the Genocide of the Armenians has become a state policy. Within this context, the ongoing Genocide against the Armenian Culture, has a single pivotal goal, to get rid of the monuments of material culture created by the natives of Western Armenia, in order to bring the usurpation of the Armenian Homeland to an end.

Sponsor of this Film Series, Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Armenia.

www.Naregatsi.org

Leave a Comment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here